Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Great Medication Mix-Up



Gather around kiddies, it's story time. My previous posts have all been about deep, insightful life events. Not this time. Today I'm going to tell you all about my adventures with starting medications.

My doctor, after listening to me for what I'm sure is much longer than our allotted appointment time about the train wreck that is inside my head, has wisely prescribed me three medications. She said, "First, let's get this anxiety under control. I want you to start with this one." And she gives me a script for what I'll call C. "Now, take this A for your ADHD." Okie-dokie. "And this T will help you sleep at night" because I had mentioned that I have horrid insomnia and had been taking Melatonin.

Now, here's where I royally screw up the most simplistic instructions. After much insurance pricing, prescription coupons, and other such nonsense, I pick up my pills. I decline the T since I had that awesome Melatonin at home. I knew my C had to be taken with food, so like a good little soldier I ate a light breakfast even though I HATE eating breakfast. I read the bottles very carefully so I make sure to take the right pill....and proceed to take the wrong pill.

Now what? Do I continue to take the pill I just took, and wait a few days like I was supposed to do before starting the second medication? Do I stop taking the A and just take the C? Choices, choices. For most people, this might be an easy decision. But not for me. Nooooo. I have to have an anxiety disorder, so for me this is like the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire million dollar question. So, I opt to Phone a Friend.

I decide to continue the day with A, and later I message my EMT friend who is super awesome and goes out of his way to help me out. I tell him what I was prescribed and what I had done so far, and the mess that I was in.  He expressed that he was surprised that I was given that sort of a combo as it could be quite dangerous. Speedballing is what it is called on the streets. Now, you might think Speedballing is a new Olympic Sport where you have sex on a toboggan while racing along at top neck speeds, but no, that's wrong, on so many levels. That's okay, though, that's what I thought at first, too. Don't beat yourself up. Apparently it's taking uppers and downers at the same time, and it has some nasty side effects.

So now I've got to call the pharmacy back and inquire about this. The combination of the two may cause me anxiety, the pharmacist said. If I experience this, I need to stop taking them. Pause for a moment, and let that sink in. My anxiety meds may cause me anxiety. How would I know if this is new anxiety or pre-existing anxiety? I'm getting anxiety trying to figure it out....or is it the medication?! Also, may cause hallucinations, which I think would be a-MA-zing! Talk about adding something interesting to the day of a stay-at-home mom that doesn't include Vaseline or a Sharpie marker.

But the pharmacist did say that the doses were low enough that there wasn't a huge risk and that I shouldn't have to wait to start taking them together. Great! Problem solved....or so I think. Sunday I take them both together. ADHD still super active, but I'm much happier, calmer. Still have anxiety, but I feel better about it, if that makes sense. 

All is well, until it's not. Sunday night, no sleep. I took 2 Melatonin's, to no avail. Got up for a 3rd. Nothing. My thoughts were racing. At one point, I believed that my thoughts were going so fast that for sure my heart had to be going just as fast. I wondered if I was going to have a heart-attack from fast thoughts. I considered checking my pulse, but didn't really feel like it. One hour of sleep all night. I call up the pharmacist and beg to get the T meds that I declined a few days earlier.

Monday evening at my daughter's karate class, I get to talking to another mom who has ADHD. She was really friendly, and we spoke about it at length. Before long the topic of meds came up. I told her what I was on, and she said she took the C pills, too. I asked her if they gave her insomnia, and she said the C pills don't, but her anxiety meds used to.

Wait....hold the phone.  Aren't C pills for anxiety? Nope, those are for depression, and she pulls the drug facts up on her smart phone to show me. Sure enough. I've been taking depression meds. But I'm not depressed! This explains my really, really great mood, even after 1 hour of sleep, but what's it going to do for my anxiety?! Now I have anxiety. I call up the pharmacist...again....and inquire. Thankfully I'm told C is an unwritten med used for anxiety. It's often used because it's non-addictive. Now I love my doctor. She knows my family has addiction issues and is looking out for me! So sweet. And making me happier along the way. How awesome is that!

After karate, we swing by the pharmacy to pick up my sleeping pills. I read the label:  "T is used in the treatment of anxiety and chronic pain." Okay, now this is just getting ridiculous. I'm taking C which is for depression, but I'm using it for anxiety. T is actually for anxiety, but I'm using it to sleep. And Melatonin, the pill that is supposed to make me sleep, doesn't work.

At this point, I give up. It's only been a few days, and they're all supposed to take a week or so to fully kick in. I'm happier and calmer during the day, which is a plus, so I'm just going to go with the flow. Thankfully, the T did help me sleep. And I'm quite disappointed to report, I have had no hallucinations as of yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment